Skip to content

How Do I Obtain An Export Health Certificate?

  • by

A health certification for export (EHC) is a government-issued document which confirms that your export’s health standards of the country you are aiming to visit.

You’ll need to make an application for an EHC when you’re exporting or transporting live animals or animal products out of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) to or via:

the EU
Non-EU countries
Northern Ireland

Also, you’ll need an EHC to be able to move within any EU country.

It is possible that you require an EHC for transiting through a non-EU member. Make sure you contact the appropriate authority (the equivalent to Defra) in the country.

If you are in need of an EHC, request an EHC by the normal method.

You’ll require the EHC for each of the following:

kind of animal or animal product you’re exporting out of Great Britain
Type of product – when you’re exporting a consignment that contains a mixture of goods.

If you’re moving live animals , or products from animals into Northern Ireland, you do not have to pay to have them inspected and certified. The certifier bills authorities for the expenses in the Movement Assistance Scheme.

Exports out of Northern Ireland to the EU and non-EU nations

You will require an EHC to import animals, as well as animal products in Northern Ireland to non EU countries.

It is not necessary to have an EHC for exporting into the EU.

How do I apply

You ought to:

Search for your animal or your product
Download and read the EHC and the guidance notes – they provide the steps you’ll have to do to export your cargo

Be sure to contact your vet’s official (OV) or an inspector who will verify your EHC prior to submitting any application.

If you can’t find the EHC you require, call APHA.

Make use of a logistics hub transfer or export your goods

You can make use of an logistics hub to move or export items of animal origin (POAO) like:

Meat and composite products from composites and meat
Fish and fishery products and shellfish

Utilizing a logistics hub could help you save time by speeding the border process. This is done by providing an export hub and a knowledgeable staff at one place.

A logistics hub can:

Combine your products together with other products from various suppliers into one consignment
Collect your goods and then take them to the final destination within Northern Ireland or the EU or Northern Ireland
Complete and complete and EHCs to your product, including access to an official who can certify your products
provide a customs brokerage service

There are a few logistics hubs that offer the same level of service. Contact your logistics provider to learn more details about hubs for logistics.

Your goods must be accompanied by documents to be accompanied by them when they are delivered to the logistic hub.

The certifying officer needs to verify these documents before they can issue a certificate for the EHC.

Contact the logistics center for more information about the details you have to include with your goods and the best time to ship it.

Locate an OV or inspector

You’ll need to select the OV (local authority inspector), and

Name these in the application
Make sure they are able to examine your shipment and then verify your EHC in the days leading up to the date of your export

An OV is a person who’s was authorized by APHA to perform statutory tasks (work mandated by law). Follow this guideline to locate an expert who can certify your health certificate for export.
After APHA approves your EHC application

APHA will forward the EHC to your inspector or OV or notify them that it’s ready to print and download when they have authorized to access this service. EHC Online Service:

7 working days prior to the date of your export
Within one day after the day you received it, if are planning to export it within the next 7 days.

If you’ve made an online application and you’ve applied online, you’ll be able check the date APHA has delivered your certificate to your OV/inspector. Contact APHA If your OV or inspector did have a problem receiving the EHC.

Make sure your export is checked

There are different inspection procedures based on the country the export is coming from.

Exporting out of England, Scotland or Wales

If you’ve made an application to APHA to obtain an EHC You must get your nominated inspector or OV to fill out the paperwork, then sign and deliver your EHC the EHC. The EHC is required to be carried with the consignment to its export destination. The merchandise cannot be divided during the transit.

Exports from Northern Ireland

The procedure for having your exports inspected differ the UK and Northern Ireland – check the procedures for inspection on DAERA website.
If you must make any changes to the application

If you require modifications or withdraw an application, you can contact APHA as well as DAERA.

In the event that you or your inspector or OV are registered for EHC online, then you may request them to cancel the EHC and request an alternative.

If your export doesn’t satisfy all the requirements set by the EHC

It is essential to contact the competent agency in the state that you’re exporting to. Competent authority is the equivalent to Defra in the country you’re exporting to. Request if they’ll grant you a waiver to meet the requirements you aren’t able to satisfy.

If they are willing to waive one or all of these conditions an APHA vet will offer your official veterinarian or the inspector with a “derogation” that grants the person an exemption, so they are able to still issue a certificate of EHC.

Include the waiver in the EHC application when you send your application APHA.

If you require help,

Reach out to APHA or DAERA for assistance in on obtaining an EHC.